Simple, tasty, light, and very nutritious, fava beans can be a side dish or a main course. Derived from the legume vetch , it is known in Greece since ancient times.
If we like fava beans, we can also try red lentils in the soup with a red lentil recipe.
Fava beans with caramelized onions (fava me karamelomena kremmydia)
- Total Time: 85'
- Yield: 6 μερίδες 1x
Fava beans (yellow split peas) goes well with either red or white caramelized onions.
- 500 gr. fava beans
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium potato
- 1.5 lt hot water
- 2 tbsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Ingredients for caramelized onions
- 3 medium onions, red or white
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 shot of balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl put the fava beans and enough water to cover them. Allow to rest for 30΄ and then rinse and drain the fava beans.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion for 3 ‘.
- Then add the potato (cut into cubes) and sauté for 1′-2΄.
- Add hot water and the fava beans and lower the heat.
- Boil on low heat for 50 ‘. During boiling, keep skimming off the scum. Add boiling water, if needed.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Blend with a hand mixer.
- For the caramelized onions: Heat the oil over medium to low heat and add the onions.
- When they soften, add the sugar and quench with the vinegar.
You may add a coarsely chopped red pepper. Serve with smoked mackerel for a perfect ouzo meze.
Fava contains soluble fiber that makes it ideal for maintaining normal blood sugar and cholesterol levels, a healthy functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and the prevention of chronic diseases such as colon cancer. It also contains vegetable protein and folic acid. Folic acid is essential during pregnancy to prevent congenital anomalies in the nervous system of the fetus.
- Prep Time: 30'
- Cook Time: 55'
- Serving Size: 1 μερίδα
- Calories: 534
- Sugar: 11,1 gr
- Fat: 22,6 gr
- Carbohydrates: 64 gr
- Fiber: 22,5 gr
- Protein: 23 gr