Homemade chicken gyros? Of course it is possible, if the right spices are used. Cook homemade chicken gyros in a fan oven, on the grill, or on a non-stick grill-pan, or even on an outdoor grill.
The most important thing is to marinate the chicken well. It is even better if marinated overnight. Turn regularly while cooking.
The potatoes can also be cooked in a fan-oven for a “french-fried” taste. It is important that they are dry, sliced thin, and in a single layer in the roasting pan.
Depending on the oven specifications, both chicken and potatoes can be cooked simultaneously.
Instead of a yogurt sauce we can add mustard or low-fat tzatziki.
Wrap the gyros in tortillas, white or wholemeal. A tortilla usually has less fat and calories than pitta bread (even if it is wholemeal).
Homemade chicken gyros goes well with homemade wholemeal tortillas.
Pitta bread with gyros is the most favorite Greek fast food. Note that the quality of the ingredients can either reduce or increase the calories that a pitta-gyros contains. Important contributing factors are whether the potatoes are fried, how much fat the meat contains, as well as the type and amount of sauce used.
- For the chicken
- 500 gr. chicken leg fillet, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil for baking
- For the marinade
- 1 cup strained yogurt (you can use Greek fat reduced or fat-free yogurt)
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- Salt, black pepper
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp dry coriander
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper( optional)
- For sandwiches
- 6 tortillas (preferably wholeweat)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 green pepper finely sliced without the seeds
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- For the yogurt sauce
- 150 gr. low fat strained greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder (optional)
- For the potatoes
- 2 medium-sized potatoes (200 g total)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil1 tbsp. flour
- 1 pinch of paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
- Marinate the chicken. In a bowl, prepare the marinade. Add the chicken and stir to make sure the chicken is thoroughly mixed with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the fan-oven to 180 degrees. Cover a pan with non-stick paper. Spread the chicken cut into thin pieces and pour over the marinade. Bake for 20΄ until the chicken is well cooked. Alternatively, we can grill it by stirring regularly.
- For the potatoes, preheat the fan-oven to 200 degrees. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Dry them with non-stick paper. Mix them with a tablespoon of oil. In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt and spices. Add this to the potatoes and stir. Spread non-stick paper on a baking sheet and grease it with one tablespoon of oil using a brush. Spread the potatoes on the paper in a single layer. Bake for 35΄ until golden brown. During baking, turn over once or twice.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sauce. Heat the tortillas a little. Spread the sauce and then add the chopped chicken (about 2 to 3 pieces) and finish with tomato, cucumber, green pepper, red onion. Add some potatoes and wrap the tortillas.
Alternatively, gyros can be wrapped in Arabic pies, white or wholemeal.
An equivalent pork gyros with pitta bread, french fries, and tzatziki contains 800 calories – therefore, there is a significant reduction in calories using this recipe instead.