An alternative recipe that contains minimal fat and cholesterol and is much easier to make than the classic one. You may use a variety of vegetables (e.g. spinach, celery) and aromatic herbs. You may also want to try the chicken soutzoukaki recipe.
Easter soup with chicken (Magiritsa me kotopoulo)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 00h 45m
- 700 gr. chicken breast fillets
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp. Carolina rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 2 liters of hot chicken broth
- 1 coarsely chopped lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Salt-freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion for 2΄.
- Add the chicken and keep turning to brown on all sides for about 5΄. Add the rice and stir for 1΄.
- Quench with the wine and let the alcohol evaporate
- Add the hot broth and coarsely chopped lettuce, season with salt and pepper and lower the heat.
- Let simmer for 20΄.
- During the last 5΄ of cooking, add the dill and parsley.
- Prepare the avgolemono.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the lemon juice.
- Remove the pan from the heat and wait for 5΄.
- Gradually add 2-3 tablespoons of the soup to the bowl. Keep whisking.
- Now slowly pour the contents of the bowl into the soup and stir.
- Put the pan back on to a low heat for 30΄΄(seconds) until the soup thickens slightly. Remove from the heat.
In order to avoid the avgolemono curdling, the eggs must be at room temperature. Otherwise, the egg whites will cook when whisked into the soup. You must whisk constantly when making avgolemono.
Daily consumption of fiber achieves good gut health because it promotes the growth of friendly bacteria. Lettuce contains 13 g. of fiber. A daily consumption of 25-35 gr. of fiber is recommended. Most people in Western societies do not reach this goal.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 45 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english