A different chicken soup, made using chicken breast and vegetables. It has less fat and more fiber than the classic recipe.
Greek Chicken soup (kotosoupa avgolemono)
Published on 30/06/2020 | By filitsa |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 00h 01m
- 700 gr. chicken breast fillet
- 2.5 liters of water
- 1 chicken cube, preferably with reduced salt (or 1 cube of fresh refrigerator broth)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 chopped spring onions
- 1 leek, only the white part, sliced
- 2 carrots cut into small cubes
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 sprig of celery and 1/4 cup celery root in small cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup (110 g) risotto rice
- 2 tbsp. chopped dill
- Salt-freshly ground pepper
- For the avgolemono
- 2 egg yolks
- juice and zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes.
- Put 2.5 liters of water, the cube and the chicken in a saucepan over medium to low heat.
- Remove any scum that may form with a ladle.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Strain and keep the broth.
- In a clean saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute the onion until translucent
- Add the spring onions and leeks and sauté for 3΄.
- Add the carrots and zucchini and sauté for 5΄.
- Add the rice and keep mixing for 1΄. This will make it more viscous.
- Add the hot chicken broth, the celery, celery root, thyme and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 20΄ on low heat with a half-open lid.
- Add the chicken during the last 10’ of cooking.
- Add the dill.
- In a small bowl, beat 2 egg yolks with a hand whisk. Add the juice and lemon zest.
- Take a tablespoonful of the soup and pour it into the bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Repeat this process 5-6 times.
- At the end, pour the avgolemono into the pot, stirring vigorously.
- If necessary, add more pepper and lemon juice.
No Steps Found !
Eggs should be at room temperature so the soup does not curdle.
Medical studies have proven that chicken soup has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to relieve cold symptoms.
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 1 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english