This dish could also be named “lazy cabbage dolmades” because it is much easier to make than the classic stuffed dolmades. Brown rice goes well with cabbage and minced meat and the aromas give it a special taste. Cabbage dolmades is an original recipe, just like chicken meatballs.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 00h 40m
- 1 small cabbage, not too compact, cut into large pieces
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 500 gr. lean minced beef
- 150 gr. brown rice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1 tbsp. allspice powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 250 gr. chopped tomatoes
- 250 gr. slightly concentrated tomato juice
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- In a small saucepan, boil the rice with a little salt according to the instructions on the package. There should be 1.5 cups of boiled rice.
- In a large saucepan, boil enough water. Add the cabbage and cook for 5΄-7΄ until soft. Drain.
- Dry the same pot and put it back on medium heat. Heat the olive oil and sauté the onion for about 4΄. Add the garlic and sauté for 1΄.
- Then add the minced meat and stir to cook until it changeS color. Add salt and pepper.
- After the minced meat is lightly cooked, add the boiled cabbage, the boiled rice, the parsley, the dill and the spices.
- Add the cooked cabbage, tomato juice and a cup of water. Bring to the boil and lower the heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20΄.
Minced chicken may be used instead of ground beef. For this recipe brown rice is used for the risotto, boiled for 15’
Cabbage is rich in vitamin C and K, potassium, plant sterols which reduces "bad" cholesterol, as well as anthocyanins which contribute to a healthier heart.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 40 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english