Everyone’s favorite pastitsio, is made in this recipe with approx. 30% less fat and carbohydrates than the original one. In this recipe, wholemeal flour is used for the béchamel sauce, as is lean minced meat and low-fat cheese. Similar to the pastitsio recipe is the lasagna with minced meat without béchamel sauce.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 00h 01m
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 500 gr. of lean minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 gr. slightly concentrated tomato juice (pulp)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt Pepper
- 50 gr. low fat gruyere cheese grated
- 300 gr. pasta for pastitsio (bucatini) cooked
- 100 gr. olive oil margarine
- 100 gr. flour, preferably wholemeal
- 750 gr. of not low-fat milk
- 1/2 tbsp. nutmeg
- 50 gr. low-fat gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt Pepper
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium to high heat. Saute the ground meat until it browns. Add the onion and stir until it withers. Add the tomato, spices, salt and pepper.
- Cook the ground beef for 30΄. Remove from heat, remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick . Add 50 gr. of grated cheese.
- For the bechamel, heat the margarine over medium heat. Gradually add the flour and stir constantly until it changes color, about 4΄. Stirring constantly, slowly add the milk little by little. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until it thickens to a creamy consistency, for about 8΄. Remove from the heat and add the yolks and 50 gr. grated gruyere (keep 1-2 tablespoons of cheese to sprinkle on top).
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Lightly grease a 25x35 cm fireproof dish. Spread the bottom of the dish with spaghetti. Top with minced meat and cheese. Stir lightly and cover with the bechamel.
- Sprinkle grated gruyere on the surface of the pastitsio.
- Bake at 180 ℃ for about 55΄(keep the pastitsio covered with foil during the first 30’ of baking).
You may increase the amount of cheese in the minced meat mixture but the nutritional value will alter.
When the ground beef is lean, is not overcooked and consumed in moderation, it is a healthy choice which offers high valued protein, iron, zinc, creatine, taurine, vitamins B6 and B12 and selenium.
- Servings : 8
- Ready in : 1 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english