Peas in tomato sauce is traditional meatless dish. Peas fit well with the red Florina peppers and carrots. If you are fan of vegetarian dishes try also mixed vegetables in tomato sauce (tourlou).
Peas in tomato sauce (arakas laderos)
Published on 30/06/2020 | By panos panos |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1/2 kg frozen peas,( preferably organic)
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 dried onion, in thin slices
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 small potatoes, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red Florina pepper, sliced in small pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into cubes 1-2 cm
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 400 gr. mashed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped dill
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil over medium to high heat.
- Add the onion and stir until it is translucent.
- Saute the onions and pepper for 2΄.
- Add the carrot and sauté for another 2-3΄.
- Add the peas, tomato, sugar, salt, pepper and a cup of water.
- Cover the pan and leave the food on low heat until the peas soften, soak up the water, resulting in a thick tomato sauce. If extra boiling is required, add more water.
- Before removing from the heat, add the mint and dill.
Arakas may also be served as an accompaniment to grilled meat or chicken. Serve with feta or low-fat white cheese
Peas have a moderate glycemic index and should be used with caution by diabetics.
- Servings : 4
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english