An original salad that combines black-eyed peas (beans) with feta cheese. Black-eyed peas are healthy, filling and easy to cook. They do not require soaking. They also reduce bloating and prevent gas. This salad can also be a light meal. black-eyed beans with spinach is also a nice combination .
Salad with black-eyed peas and feta
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 00h 45m
- 1 1/2 cup black-eyed peas
- 1 bay leaf
- cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper in pieces
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. cumin in seeds, crushed
- 1 sliced red onion (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped dill
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup low fat feta cheese in pieces
- Rinse the black-eyed peas and drain.
- Put the black-eyed peas in a saucepan with the bay leaf and fill the pan with enough water to cover them up to 3 cm. Boil, reduce the heat, add the salt, and simmer until the beans are slightly soft, about 35΄.
- Drain in a sieve and keep some of the water.
- Transfer the black-eyed beans to a salad bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan over medium to high heat, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the red pepper to soften it slightly, about 3΄. Add the garlic and cumin seeds and stir for 1΄. Remove from the heat and mix with the beans.
- Add the vinegar, the remaining olive oil, 1/4 cup of the water from the beans, salt and pepper.
- Allow to reach room temperature. Add the onion, dill and parsley to the salad. Add the pieces of feta cheese on top and serve.
If you opt for the red onion, place the slices in a bowl, fill with cold water and leave for 5΄-10΄. Drain and add to the salad. This gives it a milder taste and smell.
1 cup of black-eyed peas contains 45% of the recommended daily fiber intake, 58% folic acid and 31% protein. Black-eyed beans also provide thiamine (B1), a valuable vitamin for the proper functioning of the nervous system, memory and cognitive abilities. Consuming back-eyed beans helps lower cholesterol, regulate blood sugar and boost the immune system.
- Servings : 5
- Ready in : 45 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english