Stuffed vegetables with minced meat (gemista me kima) is popular with children and young adults and when prepared with the appropriate ingredients, it is also suitable for those that are mindful of their sugar and calories’ intake. For further advice on feeding children, read the article, how to teach children to eat healthy.
Stuffed vegetables (gemista) with minced meat
Published on 30/06/2020 | By filitsa |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 00h 01m
- 6 bell peppers
- 6 slightly ripened tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 500 gr. lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/3 cup hot water or vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons carolina rice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp. chopped mint
- 1 tomato peeled and grated
- Salt - freshly ground pepper
- Wash and remove the tops of the tomatoes and peppers.
- Remove the inside of the vegetables with a teaspoon and sprinkle with salt inside.
- Keep the inside of the tomato flesh.
- For the stuffing, sauté the onion and spring onions in half the olive oil over medium heat for 3΄-4΄. Add and sauté the garlic together for 1΄.
- Add the minced meat and sauté until it browns.
- Quench with wine.
- Add the chopped vegetables and sauté for another 2-3 minutes, over medium heat.
- Add the inside flesh of the tomatoes, and simmer for 8 '.
- Add the parsley and mint, water or broth and rice. Continue cooking for another 2΄ and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Fill the peppers and tomatoes with the stuffing up to 3/4 full. Seal with their tops.
- Place them in a dish measuring 25x35 cm.
- Mix the grated tomato with the rest of the olive oil in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the stuffed peppers and tomatoes.
- Bake for 50΄ until the stuffing is golden brown. If all the water evaporates during cooking, add a little extra hot water.
Instead of using the tomato and pepper tops to “seal” the stuffing, you may use wholemeal toasted breadcrumbs, but be careful not to let them dry completely.
Gemista with minced meat has a lower glycemic index than gemista with rice.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 1 Minutes