A variation of the classic stuffed vegetables (mainly tomatoes and peppers known as ”gemista”), stuffed with bulgur wheat and lots of vegetables. If the glycemic index is of concern, then an alternative would be stuffed with brown rice.
Stuffed vegetables with bulgur wheat
Published on 02/07/2020 | By filitsa |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 01h 30m
- Difficulty Level Δύσκολο
- 6 peppers for stuffing
- 6 tomatoes for stuffing
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1/2 red pepper in small pieces
- 1 small chopped zucchini
- 1 chopped white mushroom
- Half an eggplant without the skin in very small cubes (if there is more filling, fill the other half, after emptying the inside with a teaspoon)
- 500 gr. tomato grated
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 12 tbsp bulgur wheat
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- Wash and remove the tops (calyx) of the tomatoes and peppers.
- Remove the inside part with a spoon and put a little salt inside.
- For the filling, sauté the onion and spring onions in half the olive oil over medium heat until they become transparent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1΄.
- Add the chopped vegetables and sauté for another 2΄-3 ', over medium heat. Add 250 gr. grated tomato and the inside of the tomatoes finely chopped, as well as the pine nuts. Simmer for 10 '.
- Add the parsley, mint and bulgur wheat. Continue cooking for another 2΄ and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Fill the peppers and tomatoes up to 3/4 with the bulgur-vegetable mixture. Cover with the tops.
- Place them in a dish about 25x35 cm.
- Mix the remaining grated tomato with the remaining olive oil in a bowl. Add salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the stuffed ones.
- Bake for 50΄ until the stuffing is golden brown.
Bulgur wheat comes from cracked wheat and is found in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cousine.
Bulgur wheat is rich in fiber and is beneficial to the heart and blood sugar levels.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 90 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english