We think that spinach pie is the most delicious greek dish. Especially a spinach pie with homemade fyllo pastry is healthy and nutritious.
Spinach pie is the pie that has crossed the borders of the country and is synonymous with Greek cuisine, along with moussaka, Greek salad, souvlaki and tzatziki. Spinach pie, and pies in general, is a great gastronomic capital for the Greeks. It’s a food we grew up with. Almost all of us have memories of the smell of a freshly baked pie waiting for us at the table hot hot. A pie with a sheet opened at home.
We have eaten many executions of spinach pie in home kitchens, some with homemade foil, others with ready-made. Ours is made with 60% wholemeal flour and 40% white flour. You can make your sheet with any proportion of flour you want.
Some of us love spinach pie (like Obama). And we try it in every form. Wholemeal spinach pie with homemade puff we recommend has less fat than usual.
For spinach pie lovers we suggest a quick and easy solution: spinach pie in tortillas.Print
Spinach pie with homemade fyllo pastry
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
Is there anyone who does not like a delicious spinach cheese pie that just came out of the oven? Especially when it is a whole spinach pie? Of course we only make it with olive oil and feta cheese. If we want to reduce fat we use white low fat cheese.
For the fyllo pastry
- 600 gr. flour for all purposes
- 400 gr. wholemeal flour for all purposes
- 600 gr. water
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. white vinegar
- 125 ml olive oil
- For the filling
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 kg of spinach, cleaned and washed
- 1/4 cup dill
- 400 gr. feta cheese or white low-fat cheese, broken into small pieces
For the pie
- 3/4 cup olive oil for spreading
- Wholemeal flour or semolina to open the fyllo
- Sesame for the surface
- For the fyllo in a large bowl, sift the 2 flours and the salt. Add the olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and water. We shape the materials with our hands for 5 minutes. Once the dough starts to come together and come off the walls of the bowl in 5 minutes, remove it from the bowl. Our dough should be soft and elastic.
- Put the dough in another bowl and cover with cling film. Set aside to rest for 30΄.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil for the filling. Saute the onion and spring onions in olive oil for 3΄.
- Add the spinach and let it wither and all its liquids evaporate. Remove from the heat and add the chopped dill and the coarsely chopped feta.
- On the workbench we will open a fyllo for the large baking tray. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C in air.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Spread the flour on the workbench and open a fyllo with our rolling pin.
- Grease the pan with the brush. Spread the first fyllo and add oil to it. Repeat with the second and third card. Grease the 3rd fyllo and spread the filling.
- Repeat the process for the next three fyllos. Grease the surface well and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut the pie into 16 pieces with a knife. Sprinkle with the remaining olive oil and it is ready to cook. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until crispy and browned.
We can add mint to the filling.
A diet rich in fiber reduces the risk of stroke and heart attack by 30%. Helps regulate diabetes and prevents obesity. Indicated in gastrointestinal diseases (gastroesophageal reflux disease, diverticulitis, constipation). The main thing of course is that it prevents colon cancer.
- Prep Time: 50
- Cook Time: 60
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 502
- Fat: 28
- Protein: 12,1
Keywords: spinach pie, spanakopita