Spanakoryzo (spinach with rice) is a classic, traditional Greek dish with few calories and lots of fiber. It is suitable for a vegan diet, fasting or weight loss. Another recipe is cuttlefish with spinach and cherry tomatoes.
Βαθμός Δυσκολίας: Μέτριο
- 1 kg tender, fresh cooked spinach, about 1.3 kg raw)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 sping onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups hot water or vegetable broth
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup Carolina rice or brown rice, boiled for 20 mins.
- chopped dill
- juice and zest of 1-1 1/2 lemons, depending on our taste
- Wash the spinach well, remove the damaged leaves and roots and chop it coarsely. Put it in a colander, add salt and let it drain.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and spring onions and sauté until translucent.
- Gradually add the spinach and half the water and stir until it withers.
- Add the rest of the water, a little salt and pepper and stir.
- When it boils, make openings in the spinach in 3-4 places and put the rice.
- Cover and lower the heat. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the spinach is left with its oil
- Check that the rice has softened but does not stick to the bottom of the pot. You may need to add a little more hot water.
- Before removing from the heat, add the dill, lemon and zest and mix well.
We can also add 1 cup of tomato juice instead of water. In this case we can skip the lemon.
A low-calorie meal, suitable for diabetics, even if we do not use brown rice, because it is rich in fiber. Boiling the spinach first and throwing away the water reduces the potassium intake (for people who need to pay attention to potassium in their diet).