Light Smyrneika soutzoukakia with ground beef. For a healthier alternative , do not fry but bake in the oven. For an even lighter version, prepare a chicken meatballs (keftedakia kotopoulou).
Light meatballs in tomato sauce ( soutzoukakia smirneika)
Published on 30/06/2020 | By filitsa |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Ready in :
- 00h 55m
- 850 gr. ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 80 gr. wholewheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sweet red wine
- salt-freshly ground pepper
- For the tomato sauce
- 1.5 kg of grated fresh ripe tomatoes
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 5 gr. of allspice
- salt- freshly ground pepper
- For the light Smyrneika soutzoukakia, first soak the wholemeal bread in the wine for 10 '. Squeeze it and put it in a big bowl.
- In the large bowl we add all the ingredients for the soutzoukakia . Knead the mixture well.
- At the same time, in a saucepan over medium heat, boil the sauce ingredients for 15΄ until the sauce sets.
- To make the soutzoukakia, wet your hands with the wine and shape about 30 small soutzoukakia. Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Arrange in an oiled pan and bake at 200 ° C for 10 'until golden brown.
- Pour the thick sauce over the soutzoukakia and continue baking in the oven for another 25 minutes. Serve with rice.
For a richer taste, choose minced meat (half pork, half beef) but the nutritional value will be different.
Cooked tomatoes contain lycopene that protects against prostate cancer.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 55 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Greek recipes in english